Sunday, 23 August 2015

Menorcan Tourist.


I might have been here 19 times before but that doesn't stop me walking around with my camera in one hand and my phone in another! Today I thought I'd share with you all some of most popular and traditional things in Menorca, I hope you all enjoy!


The most popular thing all over Menorca are these shoes. Traditionally the soles are made from tyres and they are hand crafted. There are hundreds of different colours, patterns and prints available. Everyone wears them; the kids, the women and the men! I hadn't bought any before now because I didn't think I'd wear them but this year I caved and got this amazing glittery pair. They are so much more comfortable than I thought they would be! 


Hand painted pottery is very popular even with the locals. They use this style of hand painted pottery to decorate inside and outside of their homes. Each design includes a mixture of bright colours including; blue, red and green. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and usually feature floral patterns.


I'll admit I have a collection of these sand filled lizards and tortoises under my bed that I have collected over the years. These are one of the most popular things among children that visit the island because of how colourful they are. They vary is size and are seen in most of the shops within each area of Menorca. You can find these in every colour and pattern and they even do glittery ones! People tend to buy them as gifts for children because all of the other souvenirs are aimed at adults.



Wind chimes are everywhere. They use things such as shells, small pottery shapes and metal to create unique pattern sequences. As with the pottery dishes the pottery wind chimes are hand crafted and paint mainly in the shapes of; sunshines, butterflies and lizards. They are more neutral colours than the other pottery as you can see from the pictures.



The most common animal you see around Menorca is the lizard. You can see them all over the island, roaming around on the rocks and on peoples villas. Here's a picture of one I managed to photograph before it ran off! 



If you've been on holiday or have a holiday booked please leave a comment below of where you are going! 

xo.






2 comments:

  1. Menorca is fab - so easy to get to and the locals are so nice! Love the shoes you picked :) x

    http://www.ode2vogue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So first, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award because I genuinely love your blog <3 But second, I actually went on my first ever childhood holiday to Menorca so reading this post just brought back a ton of happy memories, and I'm really glad you wrote it so beautifully! :)

    nikkiisliving.blogspot.com

    XX

    ReplyDelete