Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Acne killed my confidence and self-esteem.



To people who only suffer from an occasional spot here and there, it might not seem like anything. But for people who suffer from acne on a day to day basis, it can kill any confidence that they had. For me personally when I first started breaking out I was around 13, and at first it didn't really concern me. My parents were more concerned of the scaring it might leave (my mum suffered with acne for over 10 years, and still has the scars) so they were quick to get me to a dermatologist and I was given Isotretinoin.  This worked amazing and the doctors actually stopped me taking it just over half way through the 12 month treatment because my skin looked amazing. I gained so much confidence in the year and a half that my skin was clear, that when they started appearing again I kind of wanted to just ignore them and pretend it wasn't happening again. 

After trying some of the over counter treatments again they just got worse, so I went back to the hospital and they actually refused to re prescribe me Isotretinoin because "they weren't that bad". At this stage they were actually worse than when I was first prescribed Isotretinoin. Over 2 years later I'm still waiting for my follow up appointment and my confidence has fallen dramatically. I can't look people in the eyes when I'm talking to them, I try to cover my checks and chin with my hands when people are talking to me and I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without a full face of concealer and foundation (which isn't really covering my blotchy acne covered red skin anymore).  I would almost go as far as to say it's ruining my social life and my self esteem and confidence. 

This has actually been quite a covered topic in the media, especially if you follow the Kardashian/ Jenners. Kendall Jenner recently opened up about her struggle with acne on her website, which you can see here! Kendall commented on how "acne completely ruined my self-esteem, but it doesn't define who I am". Even though it's something that doesn't change who you are in the slightest it's so hard to realise that it doesn't make you a different person to who you was before acne. It shouldn't change your favourite places to go, or how other people see you. 

There definitely isn't any quick fixes but there are plenty of worse things in the world than a face or body full of acne. 


Similar posts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment